Tuesday, July 15, 2014

One Down

I think it is safe to say this little girl is potty trained!
 We started at the end of May. I wasn't really ready to start, but she was showing signs. I had caught her needing to go #2 the week before and stuck her on the potty just to see what would happen. After that she started telling me she needed to go or would tell me right after she had gone.
 I hadn't really researched any potty training techniques, but had heard of the three day potty training and decided to go for it. Obviously it took longer than three days, but I like the ideas in it. I decided she would be in undies anytime she was awake, no matter what. I took a couple days and didn't go anywhere. I got an app on my phone that had a timer on it and it tracked her progress. I let her run around in just the undies. We tried every 40 minutes the first couple days. I would cheer her on and give her a treat every time she went. She had a couple #2 accidents the first day, but hasn't had one since. The pottys were a little bit more difficult.
She didn't seem to care when she was wet and she started to not tell me that she needed to go. I wasn't really sure what to do. So, I started asking her more frequently because she wasn't telling me, but that seemed to make it worse. She started to get mad whenever I would take her to the bathroom. I didn't want it to become a negative thing. I decided to trust her and let her start telling me again. It took a little while, but it started to work. She was holding it longer and longer and started to tell me again. We are now going about 1 1/2 hours between pottys, she is telling me, and she is wearing undies through nap and staying dry. Now to only have her stay dry through the night. I am one proud Mama!

3 comments:

Ellen Davenport said...

I am so impressed! Seriously some kids are so much older, years before they get it. Hooray and good job you guys!

Michael and Rebecca Bates said...

Way to go!! I am dreading this as diapers can be so easy but I don't want 3 in diapers so after our trip it is going to be time to get serious!! Now hopefully she will help brother?!?! She is adorable!!

Alex and Shila said...

Hey I need an invite to your blog!